Just because the holiday season is here doesn’t mean your health goals should be tossed aside with all those boxes, bows and wrapping paper. Try these delicious and nutritious treats that put a creative spin on traditional peanut butter cups. For all of you steering clear of chemical-laden food dyes, blue spirulina is a natural and non-toxic food coloring, too!
Blue Spirulina is a type of blue-green algae that boasts strong antioxidant effects. Studies have shown that it may reduce inflammation and promotes healthy aging. Its main active component is called phycocyanin, the antioxidant that gives spirulina its beautiful blue-green color. Double Wood’s blue spirulina is standardized to 35% phycocyanin, with each serving providing over 350 mg of phycocyanin. That’s the Double Wood difference.
- 1 ½ cup white chocolate chips or full bar broken into pieces
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp of Blue Spirulina Powder
- 8 tsp of almond or peanut butter (sun butter works too)
- Melt the coconut oil together with the chocolate
- Once fully melted, add blue spirulina powder and mix
- Add 2-3 tbsp of chocolate into each mold
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tsp of peanut butter to each mold.
- Pour enough of the chocolate mixture over the peanut butter to cover it completely.
- Repeat until all are covered.
- Return to the freezer until hardened completely.